On page SEO Checklist:
Here is the final checklist which you need to follow in 2016 to make sure your content rank higher in search engine.
SEO Tips on Keyword placement:
- Keyword in Title
- Keyword in Permalink
- Keyword in first paragraph
- Keyword in Image Alt tag
- Tweaked Keyword in H2 or H3
- Bold Important Keywords and related keywords
- Italics 1-2 important Keywords
- Outbound Link to relevant high-quality sites
- Internal links to related articles
- Remove all stop words from Permalink
- Add multi-media (Video, Slides, Inforgraphic)
- Longer the content length, better it is. Minimum: 700 words
- Optimize image before uploading (Compress and resize)
- Page loading time
- Use LSI Keywords (Use Google search to find related Keywords)
- Use Meta title in less than 65 character
- Use Meta description in less than 150 characters.
- If using any Social SEO plugin, make sure to add image for Facebook, Twitter. (Take advantage of social graph)
- Make sure to have social sharing buttons at the end of post or floating social sharing buttons.
- Have related posts after blog posts to lower down bounce rate.
Things not to do:
- Not more than 1 H1 tag (Your Post title is H1 tag)
- Don’t repeat H2 and H3 Tag
- Don’t increase Keyword density by more than 1.25%
Things to focus on:
- Try to use Keyword in Post Title at beginning
- Use Long tail keywords (You can use up to 65 Character in Post title)
- If writing in evergreen niche, remove dates from the posts. (Use Date Exclusion SEO plugin)
- Content length: The longer the length of the content, better it is. Though don’t try to uselessly increase the content size.
- At the end of blog post, ask users to take action.
Here are SEO trends for 2016 by Midasmedia.
With this, you have covered all the factors that you need to have to make your articles on page SEO full-proof.
Also read: How to decrease bounce rate for a better SEO
Apart from linking to your own blog posts, it is a good to link to other external websites if you feel these will help your blog readers find more and relevant information about the topic you are writing. While linking out to external websites, you should link to trusted websites only. And if you have doubts about the authority or popularity of a website, you can use nofollow tag to avoid passing page rank and search engine rankings to bad neighbours.
You should use dofollow link for trusted websites and nofollow link for those about whom you are doubtful about their trust rank on Google. Else, try to link with Wiki article, which is considered as one of the most authoritative source of information. Even if not from onpage optimization point of view, linking to useful resource helps readers and make your content better.
By Jon Ng